Friday, November 30, 2007

Who's in charge here?

So, Ryan asks me if I would be willing to keep his boys overnight on Tuesday so he can take Ruth to a Christmas concert in Chicago.

Yes, I have four kids, but Ryan's kids really are very good, compliant, happy children. (I know, life isn't fair). Jonny is the happiest kid and Aaron sits when I say sit, sleeps when I say sleep and eats when I say eat. The child is even potty trained!!!! Clark doesn't even do all that!! Outside of the occasional spat concerning who deserves to play with the toy of choice, I didn't foresee any issues. What I also didn't foresee was the influence my darling children would have on sweet, innocent Aaron.

I decide to continue with school for the big kids as the little kids played quietly in the living room. If you have ever been to my house, you will know that the living room and the dining room are attached. We do school in the dining room so I am not far away - in theory.

So can anyone explain how I missed that this was happening?

Every piece of furniture was upside down with the cushions strewn all over the floor and the kids on top.

Another tidbit of interesting info is that Owen was dressed originally but I found him on top of the overturned furniture, naked, sword in his hand and shouting "For Narnia!"
(Mikayla and Brice had nothing to do with the mess - they just jumped in for the picture and found it all very amusing.)

If that wasn't enough for one day, I later ventured upstairs, assuming the boys were still playing quietly in Owen's room to find this mess in MY room.

They toilet papered my bedroom! No wonder they were so quiet!

I don't know if Ryan and Ruth will trust me with their kids again. I swear I was there the whole time.

At the end of the day, Aaron never rubbed off on Owen because Owen still stands when I say sit, plays when I say sleep and talks when I say eat. Not only that - he still isn't potty trained. I am afraid that maybe Owen might be rubbing off on Aaron. Hopefully Aaron still has his clothes on!

No comments: