Monday, May 19, 2008

The things they say

In my journey of parenting, I had a few rare moments of insight where I would write down in a journal some of the funny things my kids said.

I was digging around for a notebook the other day and came across one such journal with a few funny kid quips . . .


Mikayla - age 6 1/2
Brice - age 4

Brice - "Mom, are eggs chickens?"

Mom - "Yes"

Brice - "So are we eating chicken right now?"

Mom - "Well, yes, I guess so."

Mikayla - "No, we are eating the nog."

Mom - "The nog? What is the nog?"

Mikayla - "It is the chicken that didn't perform."

________________________________________________

Carra - age 2 1/2 years

Carra was wearing her special watch and noticed that Mikayla was also wearing a watch . . .
"Kaywa has a watch, Daddy has a watch. Mommy doesn't. Owen doesn't had a watch and I have a water buffalo."

(Wait, doesn't everybody "got" a water buffalo?)
______________________________________________________
Mikayla 8 1/2 years

Mikayla - "Mom when I'm a teenager can we live on a farm?"

Mom - "What kind of farm? A working farm or just a house with a barn?

Mikayla - "A working farm. Dad and Brice could get a tractor and do the cornfields and stuff and you and me could get a clothesline and hang up clothes."

_______________________________________________________

Brice - age 4-5

The kids had been playing in my bedroom and I made an announcement that Daddy was on his way home and it was time to pick up. In passing I made the comment, "So what kind of shape is my bedroom in?"

Brice ponders a while, then looks at me as if I have completely lost it and states, "Mom, it's a square."

___________________________________________________________

Mikayla - age 6-7

I had gone through the drive-through with the kids for a healthy lunch of chicken nuggets and french fries. I handed out the food to the kids in the car and proceeded to drive down the road.

Suddenly, I hear this startled cry from the back seat, "Mom, my french fries aren't done cooking!!!!!"

"Why, honey? Are they cold?"

"No!!! There's still potato in the middle!!!!"


___________________________________________________________

Brice - age 2-3

We had just been discussing with Brice that God is everywhere, but we can't see Him. He was still trying to grasp this deep concept when he had the following conversation . . .

All the assignments had been handed out for the Christmas program and all the kids from church were discussing what part they were given. Brice, being a bit young yet for such a performance, was not given a part and feeling a bit left out.

As the kids were bantering about their parts, "I get to be the shepherd!", "I get to be an angel!", etc. Brice decided to pull out the trump card and top all of their selections, "Yeah, well, I get to be GOD!"

No comments: