Monday, March 2, 2009

Owen who?

Some of you don't have the privilege of knowing Owen personally. Let's just say that he has caused me to rewrite my parenting model (over and over and over again) - and he is the child I should have had when I was 20. He is God's formula to protect me from becoming arrogant and to keep me pleading before His throne. (Some days I plead FOR Owen - but most days I am pleading for rescue FROM Owen.) He is a piece of work.

The last two weeks he has been rather sick. Very sick. But before you oooh and ahhh and feel really bad for me . . . . (or were you oohing and ahhing for him?) you have to understand that when he is sick he becomes the sweetest boy on the planet. When Owen is sick, he is calm, kind and sleeps a lot = a vacation for mom. All that was missing was the beach, a good book and something cold to drink.

For instance, there was a day when his fever got quite high and made him very lethargic. As the medication started to kick in, he perked up enough to ask for some ice cream. I took out a table spoon and plopped an average size scoop into his bowl and handed it to him. He looked up at me with a tender look and quietly said,

"Mom, I can't eat that much. Could you put some of it back, please?"

Seriously.

Who are you and what have you done with Owen?

Unfortunately, it was short lived.

Today he "sat on my bed" 3 times for screaming demands.

Yeah, he's better.

Is it mean to hope he gets sick again soon?

No comments: