Thursday, July 9, 2009

Parenting advice 101 . . .

Buff and I had the privilege of having the oldest grandchild for both sides of the family. We have felt for a long time that this privilege comes with an enormous responsibility to set a good parenting example for all of our siblings following along behind us . . .

So let us share some of our wisdom with you . . .

(I know you didn't ask for our input, but I'll bet you're going to keep reading because you're curious . . . )

One area that we desire to instill in our children is hard work. When there is a job to be done, you do your best, work your hardest and don't quit until the job is done. (I know, I know. I can sense you oooing and aahing at our amazing wisdom. It's deep.)

Last week was a turning point in our home. We have stressed. We have taught. We have disciplined. So we put our boys to work.

The tasks:

Owen - clean off the stairs.

Brice - clean your room.

Sounded reasonable enough.

Like any good parent - you inspect what you expect. I came around the corner to check on Owen and his amazing progress. Imagine my beaming face when I found this . . .

(Zzzzzz . . . . snore . . . . zzzzzz . . . . snore . . . .)

Okay, okay, we still have work to do . . . but he is only four . . .

Brice. He's ten. I'm sure he is setting a better example for his brother and sisters . . . . He's a good son - working diligently on the task set before him . . . .


Brice. Ahem, Brice . . . I'm talking about you . . . at least get up and wash your feet . . .

(Zzzzzz . . . . snore . . . . zzzzzz . . . . snore . . . .)

Sooo, that is about all the wisdom we have to share. Shall I put all this in book form for all of you so that you can have kids that turn out just like mine?

Maybe there is still hope for the girls . . .

2 comments:

Diana said...

Tina, that is too funny! Least they wont be tired when they do have to finish their jobs. I remember one time when Kim was about 5 or 6 yrs and all she had to do was to clean her room and instead she was lying on her bed,one leg proped over her knee and swinging her leg. Ours couldnt have the next meal until the job was done. We asked her are you going to clean your room? Nope,
Well, she skipped breakfast, lunch and at 3:30 the Brady Bunch came on and that room was clean in 5 min!!!
She got to watch TV and ate her dinner about as fast as she cleaned her room!! She has a good work ethic now, LOL SO there is still hope!!!! LOL

Jennittia said...

I like that parenting tip, Diana!! I will have to try it.

Tina, it's funny that one kid fell asleep, but both-- that's just plain hilarious!