Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Another Powers' adventure . . .

There is always someone screaming around here. I don't pay much attention to it.

When the screaming is accompanied by "Oww," it makes me look.

When the screaming is accompanied by "Ow, I hurt myself - and there is blood so it's reawwy, reawwy bad!" (imagine the pitch in the voice getting higher and higher and more desperate with every word as you read that sentence), you now have my full attention.

And it was "reawwy, reawwy" bad.

I also like it when it is cut and dry - yeah, it needs stitches.

We only had our camera phones with us . . . but this time we remembered we could use them.


And I only got lightheaded . . . once . . .



It was all so very traumatic for the poor kid . . .


Here is his "brave" face . . . which magically disappeared when the doctor forgot where he was and started waving the needle around . . .

. . . and when he was crying that it hurt - and he meant his mother squeezing his legs too tightly and not his wrist . . .

Sorry about that, Owen.

Our wonderful nurse Kate distracted him well - because we all know how much he loves to talk. She distracted him a little too well . . .

We are now entering all emergency situations with a release form . . . that they have to sign. It will state something like this . . .

"Please do not hold these parents accountable for anything this child may possibly say while in your presence. If you choose to believe anything he says, you do so at your own risk. Please allow the parents a chance to explain themselves first . . ."

First - he informed everyone that blood tastes like corn on the cob.

Second - he informed everyone that "Liars go to hell."

You should have seen the nurse spin around in her seat. "OWEN! Who told you that?!!!!"

"My brover."

"Oh, he was just trying to scare you . . ."

Whew.

Then there was some comment to the tissue and muscles in our body being "meat" which lead him to ask if people ever eat dead people. Logical train of thought. Morbid thought, but logical.

It got the nurse's attention again.

The first thing the doctor asked us when he saw it was us needing his help again . . . "Now is he anything like his sister Carra when it comes to pain and stitches?"

There was fear and trepidation in his voice - and she was only 4 at the time he "experienced" her in pain. He hasn't forgotten. She left quite a mark.

So did Owen . . . for very different reasons.

He and Kate left the room giggling and shaking their heads.

When I dreamed of the Powers' family leaving a mark on history . . . this isn't what I had in mind.



And there you have it. Six stitches and a story to tell.

I know what you're thinking . . .

"But how did it happen?"

In Owen's words . . . it will be a running-on-and-on run-on sentence - because that is how he talks . . .

"Well . . . . I was an inja (translated ninja) and I was pretending that I could fly backwards and then stab my sword in the ground and then roll backwards and stand up but when I jumped off the chair I fwiced my hand on Brice's stupid book wight (yes, he said stupid) that he shouldn't leave waying around the wiving woom because it's dangerous."

Yes, because jumping off chairs, flying backwards and rolling on the ground are not at all dangerous - but book lights are.

Consider yourself warned.

3 comments:

Jennittia said...

So sorry for poor Owen's hand, but what a FUNNY story!!!!!!

Jenni said...

I love the picture of Buff leaning over Owen trying to distract him. That is very sweet!

After hearing Owen's rendition of the story in Sunday School, I had to stop by your blog to hear the non-exaggerated version. Lol!

Scooter said...

MAkes perfect sense to us!!

Hey~~We were on a first name basis with out walk in clinic with these Chambers kids!!! ROFL

Love
Diana and Jazzi(the scottie)